CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Post-its

Do you know what its like

to be able to give you

nothing?



For what could I give,

I who have sat in dirty robe with cigarette butt,

hearing your stories from a lifetime ago?



A lifetime ago, I would've known what to give:

sonnets, clean feet, a warm neck.

Stories, laughter, smokeless breath.



A lifetime ago, we would've had whole afternoons,

Laughed over things we wouldnt put on our blogs,

made coffee and petted the sleeping cat. Or dogs.



A lifetime ago, I wouldve ensured smooth skin

and punctuality on msn.

A lifetime ago, all the men in the stories wouldve been you.



A lifetime ago, we may not have met.

you had your happiness and I had mine.

But now they've gone and—relatively-- it's just you and me.



we met like two druggies in a dark corner.

Our understanding began when we compared scars

and laughed at the funny shapes they left.



We pointed at each other's words in silence

awknowledging the one who would not return

and the clean bandages we refused to use.

On the nights you had to howl

I waited below, paws numb even before the snow fell,

for what comfort could I offer, I whose turn was next?


Do you know what its like

to be able to give you

nothing?



There are no flowers. But there is weed.

There is no fruit. Just dried lonely seed.



Two Quioxtes or two Sancho Panzas?

Im not sure at all, at all. Saddle-sore, I only know

we have cursed both windmill, and rusty 'amour'.



Now we sometimes frolic. All teeth and snarls and laughter,

like cubs in spring. Like spring, it does not last.

Night comes, and the snow hides your prints from me.


Do you know what its like

to be able to give you

nothing?



No virginity. No silken locks.

No rings. No matching socks.


What love-name could I call you that she hasn't?

What part of me could you touch that he hasn't?



What could I give you?

A cig when you were out, but

You dont smoke Camels, and I dont smoke Marbs.


Perhaps a back rub?


a sandwich


a crossword


hugs


Bad yoda imitations


(love you I do)


A lifetime ago, we may not have met.

you had your happiness and I had mine.

But now they've gone and relatively,

its just you and me.


A lifetime ago we would not have met.

I hold this thought like a raindrop,

and nod an ok to

the grey sky, and sun that's set.

4 comments:

Jugal said...

Do you know what its like

to be able to take

nothing?




For what could I take,

I who have given nothing but a light,

hearing your hums and verses from the other night?



A lifetime ago, I would've known what to take:

sonnets, fingertips, vampire bites.

Tall tales, snickers, fake wake-up alarms to talk.



A lifetime ago, we would spend the sun to buy the moon,

Blog material with esoteric keywords for you to grin,

balance empty coffee cups on your waist till one breaks.



A lifetime ago, I stared at my msn window

waiting for you to smoothly pop in around the corner

A lifetime ago, my muse Alex would boil your bunnies, Anne.



A lifetime ago, we may have met.

on a stupid sunday evening

at a noisy cafe, just being you and me.



Yes, we met like two druggies in a dark corner.

Was it just scars we saw? It was really

the nothingness that made those shapes, did we see?



Once the pain died, there wasn't anything

anymore left to be given or that

I could take beyond comfort.



We alternated guard duty at the gates

on our stormy nights. At least

at a moment, one slept comfortably.



Do you know what its like

to be able to take

nothing?



There are no dewdrops. It's early at night.

There is a moon. But in clouds, out of fright.



Two Quixotes or two Sancho Panzas?

We are, that there wasn't nothing left to give, take

nor did the tale get out that night into the day.



now at times, you stare and laugh

like a fable told before sleep, I laugh in sync

then we close our eyes and forget. Really, do we?



Do you know what its like

to be able to take

nothing?



No dvds. No conversations at night.

No contorted wild faces. No light.



Call me snoogy woogy, for bitsy pookums i'd say

and yes snoogy woogy you'd reply



Call me cacophile for it's just chaos that I seeked,

to resonate with and I found you.



I could touch those scars and shapes on you

for when he was there, there were none.



What could I take from you?

A cig when it was the last one

on this starry and cold night out.



May be that back rub you swore you were good at?



or that sandwich, bitten to a heart-shape by you

and some cheese and ketchup and corn



a crossword, you solved with our names at

1 down, 3 down crossing LOVES at 4 across



hugs



bad yoda imitations,

think you do Ingrid Bergman worse

(kiss me, kiss me as if it were the last time ever)

with the whole stare and all.



you laughed so hard at Jerry Maguire

(i love you. you... make me complete)

and you mocked back, stupid fellow

(you had me at 'hello')



Lies we found on the couch in fronta the tv



A life time ago, we did not meet.

you kissed your happiness goodnight

and I kissed mine.

then we met on that lonesome street.



A life time ago we will meet.

I hold that small post-it note of verse

you left by the pillow one night.

Take me back to a lifetime ago.

Banno said...

Priyanka,

This poem is going to bring back 'lifetimes' to many people. It resonates with all our truths. Batul

Anindita Sengupta said...

Beautiful! Haven't read blogs in a while. You made it worth the visit. Please keep writing.

amster said...

My Mummy read and said:

jus when i thought,
that there was no more
to give,
to you,
there was,
and
birthing
a new me,
all fresh and
soft,
love
and more love
and more,
and
thorns,
too.



*I smiles the soft knowing smile of a parent for a parent*